Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hi. We live in Alabama now.

Say whhhhat?!?! It has been a wild ride. After a very long drive across the country, most of it without cell phone reception, we have finally arrived at our new home in Alabama....where we also have little cell phone reception.

I wanted to post a video tour and photos of our new home but we still don't have reliable internet....we also don't have television or any of our household goods, but I digress.

So why did we move to Alabama? Well it all started Memorial Day weekend. Tim found out he had been selected as a Warrant Officer Candidate so he can become a pilot. This has been his dream for a very long time, and we couldn't be more proud that he was selected and gets to do what he has always wanted to do!

We knew this would mean two years of schooling/training in Alabama. His notification said to expect to start class in about 4-6 months. Okay, cool. We can handle that. Then three days later he found out he would be in the July class. Umm what? Please pack up your family INCLUDING A NEWBORN, sell your home, drive across the country and still be sane come July. Oh and we don't care that you already had 7 family members scheduled to visit you in Washington at the end of June. That's basically a summary of what the email said.

And this is why I did not write about it during the whole process. It would have been a series of long posts where I vented about how much we had to do and how concerned I was that nothing would go our way. I'm happy I waited because now I can write about it and say we survived...and things went MUCH better than expected.

In a miraculous turn of events we managed to sell our home that was about 100k underwater. We were pretty convinced we'd never sell it, and would have to *hope* that we could find renters and even then it'd still be money out of our pocket every month...and if that didn't work out it'd probably go into foreclosure eventually...hello sh*tty credit score. So we are beyond thankful and shocked that we found an awesome team of realtors who put it on the market. We found a buyer (with a CASH offer!) in less than 24 hours. We couldn't believe our luck. The process is still ongoing, but it looks like we should close by the 15th of this month. Cheers to a clean start!!

When we found out about Tim's new career opportunity I was still on maternity leave. Obviously, I'd have to put in my notice. But then I made an I'm-truly-crazy-decision and decided to return to work for a little bit before we moved. Ya know, because we didn't have enough other stuff going on. All jokes aside, my Ops Manager offered me a very flexible work arrangement, so I felt it was the least I could do to help aid in a smooth transition. And because I worked with such amazing people, they even through me a going away luncheon. I will miss that place and everyone there...y'all were like family for nearly 6 years!

Long before we found out about Tim's selection, family had bought plane tickets and scheduled a vacation to come meet little Miss Makaela. Some how the timing still worked out and we were able to enjoy some family time before the big move. I'll share all the pictures and fun details from that visit in a separate entry. We literally had movers packing up all of our belongings from under us with visitors there. Thank heavens our family is so flexible and didn't mind showering without shower curtains and sleeping without blankets. Truth.

Makaela has been such a trooper through it all. I can't begin to imagine how we would have gotten through this without a saint-of-a-child.

Lots more to share as soon as we can!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment