Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sensory Sunday Funday: Toilet Paper Roll Turned Ball Chute

Lately, Makaela has been all about putting things in containers and taking them out. She has a couple toys where she has to put a ball into hole, and basically it's the most exciting thing in the world to her.

She gets VERY proud of herself when she does it, and so do we :)

Earlier this week, I decided to make a lil somethin' somethin' with that concept in mind. 


All I did was take one of the toilet paper rolls I've been hanging onto and covered it in the left over felt I had from her sensory station. I just used the hot glue gun to make sure it was on there good (enough). 


Then I bought a bag of pom-poms in assorted colors and sizes. I picked out a few that were small enough to fit through the toilet paper roll and just grabbed a plastic container to store them in. 


The idea is that Makaela can drop them through the "chute" and into the container, or wherever. 



I can't get over the look of concentration on her face. Too. Adorable. 


She loves dropping the pom-pom down the chute and watching it fall out the other end. 



Sometimes it gets stuck mid-chute and she has to flip it around and check out the other end, or give it a little shake.





It's a great quiet time activity or a good game to play when she is getting restless with whatever else she is doing. This really seems to capture her attention and calm her down. 

Sometimes if we're feeling ambitious we even "practice" our colors. In other words, I say the color of the pom-pom and she looks at me like I'm interrupting her concentration :)

I don't store this game with the rest of her toys because I'm worried she'll stuff a pom-pom or two in those chipmunk cheeks of hers, or that the dogs will eat one and ain't nobody got time to be sitting in the ER or at the vet for a silly pom-pom related incident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment