Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Nope, not sick. Just pregnant....

Who doesn't love a stuffy nose?!  Everyone has a sexy voice when they are congested, right? Not so much.

The good news, I'm not sick - I'm just pregnant. And thankfully, last I checked pregnancy isn't contagious. The super scientific name for this condition is "rhinitis of pregnancy." Haha. I've read that in many women it starts as early as 8 weeks in and lasts the whollllllllle pregnancy, so I guess I won't whine if I only have to deal with it for the next three months. Okay, I won't whine TOO much. Three months sounds like a long time.

Apparently, higher amounts of estrogen during pregnancy can contribute to swelling in the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus. Plus, the amount of blood in your body increases during pregnancy, which can cause swelling in the tiny blood vessels in the lining of your nose and congestion in the surrounding tissue. Man, GROWING A CHILD really does play games with your whole body.

Truthfully, it's not bothersome...just noticeable (more so in the morning). Oh, and there are the occasional (very) mild nose bleeds. It could be worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment