Friday, December 6, 2013

Library Baby Learning Playgroup

Since our move to Alabama, I've been trying to get involved in as much as possible. For one, I want to meet people and make friends. Secondly, I am trying to take advantage of the fact that I am not working right now and get to spend the day with my little lady!

Back in October we started going to "Baby Learn and Play"- a free program hosted by one of the local public libraries. It is ideal for babies age 3 months to 2 years old and is scheduled for 30 minutes (but typically runs about 45 minutes) once a week.  We go every week and it is something that both me and Makaela really look forward to!

The group is hosted by a woman who volunteers. She designed the program after being inspired by a similar program her daughter took part in back in Washington. You can tell she is truly passionate about it, and has even purchased the large playmat, several books and toys for the kids to utilize.


We always start out by going around and introducing each child. The group sings "Hi Makaela! How are you? Stand right up and we'll clap for you!" Makaela EATS THIS UP. She literally smiles from ear to ear when everyone claps for her. It melts my heart.

Next, we sing a few songs out of a cute paper book also made by Ms. Moon, the volunteer coordinator. All of the songs are interactive and the kids seem to really enjoy them. Next, Ms. Moon reads a few stories to the kids. Lastly, she dumps out a bunch of toys and the kiddos play and interact while the parents socialize.

I've met some really nice parents and enjoyed the conversations we have had.  And of course I have LOVED seeing Makaela socialize with other babies. She is fascinated with all the other littles...especially the boys (uh-oh!) and she just loves trying to hold hands with other kids, sharing (or stealing) toys and kissing Ms. Moon's baby doll.


This past week we were surprised with a visit from the local news! They heard about the program and wanted to highlight it on the news. I took a video of the news report when it ran on my TV but I've also included the link to the WTVY article and news clip. Better get an agent because we've got a small town celebrity on our hands ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment